Te Matau a Maui hails from Ngati Kahungunu and is backed by the Ngati Kahungunu iwi incorporated.
NGĀTI KAHUNGUNU IWI INCORPORATED
Ngāti Kahungunu has the third largest Iwi population. A large percentage of Kahungunu people reside outside the traditional iwi boundaries. Many more reside overseas. Geographically, Ngati Kahungunu has the second largest tribal rohe in the country, from the Wharerata ranges in the Wairoa District extending to Cape Palliser in South Wairarapa. The coastal boundaries are Paritu in the North to Turakirae in the South. Ngāti Kahungunu Iwi Incorporated, with the mandate to represent the people of Ngāti Kahungunu, is the Governing body for all aspects of Iwi development.
Ngāti Kahungunu Iwi Incorporated is pleased to support Te Waka ‘Te Matau A Maui’.
Our mission states the purpose of our existence which is ‘To enhance the mana and well being of Ngāti Kahungunu.’
“We believe that this is achieved by empowering whānau, hāpu and iwi to achieve success at all levels.”
Our vision statement is ‘Ki te whai ao, ki te ao marama’ - ‘The continuous pursuit of excellence’ We are always seeking opportunities for further progression. We believe that each whānau determines their own success and therefore opportunities are always at hand if the challenge is accepted.
Ngāti Kahungunu is governed by guiding principles that describes who we are as an iwi. Our principles are based on the tapestry of whakapapa that makes us who we are and our relationships with other iwi, the crown and the world. We do things shoulder to shoulder, face to face.
Ngāti Kahungunu Iwi Incorporated has seven main iwi development statements:
1. Ngāti Kahungunu Iwi will be participating citizens in the world. Wherever we are we celebrate Kahungunutanga.
2. Ngāti Kahungunu will become economically strong as we embrace opportunities for economic activity.
3. Retention of our Ngāti Kahungunu identity is paramount for our culture to survive. Through concentrated effore and celebration, Ngāti Kahungunu traditional and contemporary culture and language will survive and achieve national recognition.
4. It is only through self determination, independence and self reliance that Ngāti Kahungunu will grow and prosper. Tino Rangatiratanga starts with self, continues through the whānau, the hapū and the iwi.
5. We are charged to preserve and protect our environment. The health of our environment has a direct influence on the health of our Ngāti Kahungunu people.
6. The world will know and recognize Ngāti Kahungunu Iwi, our values and our iwi rohe.
7. Ngāti Kahungunu whānau are happy, vibrant, strong and healthy.