Te Matau a Maui are fully aware of environmental issues and are 100% the kaupapa of this voyage.
Here is the environmental policy from the Ngati Kahungunu Iwi Incorporated which is used to guide Te Matau a Maui.
Protecting our Environment (No. 5)
Our natural environment provides our physical sustenance as well as being a reminder of tipuna and the spiritual aspect of our existence. The health of our environment has a direct influence on the health of our people. W@e are charged to preserve and protect our air, water and lands and the resources within for the benefit and survival of our mokopuna.
We do this by:
· Protecting cultural landmarks – Waahi Tipuna, Waahi Tapu, Waahi Tohi, Rua kooiwi
· Education/training tamariki in the protection and management of the environment
· Controlled culling management in marine reserves
· Restocking, reseeding, re-vegetation of native flora, fauna & fisheries
· Set regulatory standards and environmental clean up strategies in place for waterways, land management, contaminated land sites
· 200 mile ‘foreshore’ acknowledged
· Complete inventory of Ngati Kahungunu Estate
· Defence of our shoreline – own Coastguard.